the </unplugged> issue

From shitposting to dictionaries

A list of internet words and slang that are grammatically correct according to dictionaries

As we continue to use the internet more often, a lot of terminology that was once exclusive to our keyboards has become part of our everyday, offline lives.

According to Merriam-Webster, a word gets into a dictionary when it is used by many people who all agree that it means the same thing. The Oxford English Dictionary named ‘vax’—an abbreviation of ‘vaccine’—as its word of the year for 2021, a reflection of the rollout of COVID-19 vaccines at that time.

Here are some other words that were mainly used in the metaverse, but have found their way into credible dictionaries and into our conversations IRL:

1. ​​Shitposting: The activity of posting deliberately provocative or off-topic comments on social media, typically in order to upset others or distract from the main conversation. Recognized by Lexico, an online dictionary powered by Oxford English Dictionary.

Ex. I blocked Harrison because he keeps shitposting on Twitter.

2. ​​Dox: To publicly identify or publish private information about someone especially as a form of punishment or revenge. Recognized by Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Ex. Drop the name of your ex-boyfriend, he needs to be doxxed.

3. ​​Mod: A person who moderates an online forum or discussion; a moderator. Recognized by Lexico, an online dictionary powered by Oxford English Dictionary.

Ex. I think the mod deleted that really racist post.

4. ​​TBH: An abbreviation for "to be honest." TBH is frequently used in social media and text messaging. Recognized by Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Ex. TBH Jonathan smells really bad.

5. ​​ICYMI: Abbreviation for “in case you missed it”—used to draw attention to something published or posted online at an earlier date. Recognized by Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Ex. ICYMI, Ryerson University is planning on changing its name.

6. ​​Anon: Abbreviation for anonymous. Recognized by Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Ex. I think I'm going to stay anon when commenting about Jared on the public forum.

7. ​​Noob: A person who has recently started a particular activity; another word for newbie. Recognized by Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Ex. Jared’s been working here for 10 years but still acts like a noob around the photocopier.

8. ​​Sus: Used when a person, thing, place or event is giving the impression that something is questionable or dishonest; suspicion. Recognized by Lexico, an online dictionary managed by Oxford English Dictionary.

Ex. I think Jared is acting sus, so I think he is the imposter.

9. ​​OMG: An abbreviation for “Oh my God” to indicate that something is considered surprising, shocking, thrilling, etc. Recognized by Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Ex. OMG I heard Jonathan only showers once a week.

10. ​​TL;DR: Stands for “too long; didn't read” indicating that something would require too much time to read or a briefly expressed main point or key message that summarizes a longer discussion or explanation. Recognized by Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Ex. TL;DR of today’s meeting is that we have a project due at the end of the week and Jared needs to shower more often.

11. ​​@: A symbol to respond to, challenge or disparage the claim or opinion of an entity—usually used in the phrase “don't @ me.” Recognized by Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Ex. Pineapple tastes delicious on pizza, don't @ me.

12. ​​Amirite: Slang used in writing for "Am I right" to represent or imitate the use of this phrase as a tag question in informal speech. Recognized since Oct. 2021 by Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Ex. English spelling is consistently inconsistent, amirite?

13. ​​FTW: An abbreviation for "For the win" to express approval or support. In social media, FTW is often used to acknowledge a clever or funny response to a question or meme. Recognized since ​​Oct. 2021 by Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Ex. Pineapple on pizza FTW!

14. ​​Vax: A substance put into a person's body to prevent them getting a disease. Recognized by Cambridge Dictionary.

Ex. I got the COVID-19 vax yesterday so my arm is a little sore.

15. ​​Copypasta: Data (such as a block of text) that has been copied and spread widely online. Copypasta can be a lighthearted meme or it can have a more serious intent with a political or cultural message. Recognized since Oct. 2021 by Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Ex. What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids… (a well known Navy SEAL rant)

16. ​​NSFW: An acronym for “not safe for work; not suitable for work”; used to warn someone that a website or email attachment is not suitable for viewing at most places of employment. Recognized by Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Ex. Ew, Jared keeps visiting NSFW sites on his work computer.

17. ​​Vacay: Abbreviation for vacation. Recognized by Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

Ex. I hope Jared doesn't come to the family vacay.

Return home